Goodbye Italy, A Trip I Will Never Forget

Final Reflection:
I have decided to go through some of the places I visited on this trip. I cannot go through them all, but here are just some of the places I visited along my journey!

First, Venice was spectacular. I was grateful we traveled here in the winter, as the sidewalks were sometimes very narrow and it is said to be very crowded in the summer during tourist season. The place we stayed at was on the outskirts away from the main attractions in the city square, which I was also grateful for because I was able to see more of the authentic Italian culture. I learned of the factories of Italy, its current tourist driven economy, its historical economic dominance in the Mediterranean, and its naval history and old military boat collection. Venice was an absolute gem, and if you every get to travel there, I recommend taking a ferry over to the islands of Murano and Burano, where you will find first an island of beautiful glass-blowing gifts and designs, and colorful buildings!
Next, we went to a city on a hill called Orvieto. On the way, we stopped by Mantua in Italy where the Gonzaga family lived. This palace was one of my favorites that we got to visit, and was filled with extraordinary rooms, gardens, and exhibits. Orvieto was also incredible, where we found ancient ruins and cave systems built by the Etruscans, the ancient people who lived in Italy before the Romans. We also got to visit a local oil farm where we saw the progression of oil pressing and how farmers have harvested olive trees for generations in the fields of Italy.

We also visited this small town called Fontecchio, the home of our beloved tour guide Alessio, who welcomed us into his home where he hosts many Airbnb rooms. The small town of around 400 people held an annual campfire that our class got to attend, where they gathered for food and drink. Many of us got to meet the mayor who welcomed us all back to the village anytime!

I got the opportunity to travel to Florence, where I visited the Gallery Uffizi, where the Medici held a huge array of art and paintings. I also got to visit the Duomo Roman Catholic Church, which at the time it was built in 1496, held the status of being the biggest Cathedral in the world. Italy was a lively city, with people of all sorts, such as locals, travelling Italians, foreigners, or people there for business. It had an emphasis on art and fashion, and the people there were so friendly. This destination was definitely one of my favorites of my time in Italy!
Next, our class travelled to the amazing Amalfi coast, easily the most beautiful destinations I have ever travelled to. Though most of our time here was in the bitter cold and icy winds of the coastal region, the sun never ceased to shine on us! We discovered their sentiments to citrus fruits and lemon harvesting, and met a family who owns a generational lemon farm who gave us a lemon tasting. Here, we also toured the oldest functioning paper mill, and experienced making paper that was entirely water powered. Throughout the area, we saw designs and architecture that had roots from all around the mediterranean, such as Roman, Greek, and Arab, and discovered the ancient Romans used to come here on Vacation to read and ponder 
philosophical works.

During our time in Amalfi, we travelled over to Naples and Pompeii to see the ancient city that had been covered by remnants of the volcano Vesuvius. In the picture to the right, you can see Vesuvius, as well as the urban sprawl that spreads from Naples across to the mountain range leading to Amalfi. What a beautiful place!
Then, of course, we went to Rome, which was the final destination of our Italy tour, and we certainly ended on a high note. Rome was absolutely amazing, with a vibrant city life and lively energy, hosting people traveling there from all corners of the world, speaking various languages. We had the opportunity to tour the Colosseum, the Forum (displayed in the photo on the right), the Vatican, and many other destinations along the way. We could see ancient relics that had been preserved for hundreds or thousands of years, and imagine the life that used to be lived walking through the ancient streets of Rome. It was an experience I will never forget. 

This trip to Italy was absolutely incredible, and I will hold it with me for the rest of my life. The places I travelled, the friends I made, the topics I learned, and the culture I experienced made this trip a trip of a lifetime. I will never forget it, and hope to someday return to Italy, and experience again its vibrant and friendly culture. 

Author: Madelynne Jones

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addio America, Ciao Italia

An Italian Fantasy

Venice Day 1!